Main > Beta Testing

3.7 BETA 1

<< < (9/9)

Carlavatky:
I went thru the exercise of building an all new Layout with a countdown and a main clock screen on my main work computer that has a widescreen (2560x1080) resolution. It all worked and looked great. When I loaded it into the system in my poker room with 1920x1080 displays and attempt to scale the layout it went widely wonky. I suspect the system just could shrink the display down to that scales for some reason. What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to layout creation like this?

Corey Cooper:
Already fixed the issue with column configurations, so don't worry about posting it.  It will be in beta 2, which should be released later today.

--- Quote from: MotoguzziF91 on October 21, 2019, 03:43:16 AM ---Thanks Corey,
This works with notepad ++, it is a bit awkward for me because I work with 4 csv files and macros in excel. But I can live with that.
I have sent you a mail with an error message concerning the stats. Should I post this here in the forum?

--- End quote ---

Corey Cooper:
Good question.  The layout has evolved over the years but there are basically a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, the layout sizing is entirely down to the contents, with font size playing a fairly large role.

Second, on the Screen Properties dialog is a checkbox labeled Stretch layout.  If this is not enabled, your layout will be as wide as the contents require, which may mean it doesn't even fill the width or height of your screen.  If this checkbox is enabled, the layout will stretch to the width and height of your screen, if the contents are narrower or shorter than your screen.  Note that the layout is stretched by adding whitespace.  It just fills up the screen, it doesn't change the size of the contents.  This is the original way layouts worked.

Third is Layout Scaling, which was added in version 3.2.  To work properly, the layout must have an "optimal" width and height configured.  Then the entire layout is scaled to the size of your actual screen, keeping the aspect ratio the same.  This doesn't add whitespace, but resizes everything (larger or smaller) to fit your screen.  If your screen is a different aspect ratio than the original layout, some of the contents may bleed off the side or bottom of the screen, or alternatively some whitespace may be present.

Which method you use kind of depends, but there's no "official" guidance.  I would say if the layout was designed for the same resolution or one that's very close, enabling "Stretch layout" will probably be enough.  If it is significantly different, Layout Scaling will probably be better.  Both can be used together, too.  Best advice is to play with the settings a little bit and see how it goes.  If you've created your own layout, to use Layout Scaling you should have the Optimal Resolution set so the scaling feature knows best how to scale your layout.  Press the Settings button on the Layout tab to set it.

For your particular example, your layout was designed for 2560x1080, which is a 21x9 aspect ratio, but you're then using it on screen that has a 16x9 aspect ratio (1920x1080).  Scaling is going to reduce the width to 1920, but it will also reduce the height to keep the aspect ratio intact.  So it will end up at 1920x810, leaving 270 pixels of empty space at the bottom of the screen.  I'm not sure either option is going to work, and you may simply have to make some changes to the layout to get it to fit properly.

--- Quote from: Carlavatky on October 21, 2019, 09:50:03 AM ---I went thru the exercise of building an all new Layout with a countdown and a main clock screen on my main work computer that has a widescreen (2560x1080) resolution. It all worked and looked great. When I loaded it into the system in my poker room with 1920x1080 displays and attempt to scale the layout it went widely wonky. I suspect the system just could shrink the display down to that scales for some reason. What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to layout creation like this?

--- End quote ---

Carlavatky:
Working on a layout and filter cells to "cells not in use on this screen errors with:
ReferenceError: theScreenName is not defined
    at LayoutTab.setCellBoxHandlers (LayoutPage:1638:45)
    at LayoutTab.updateToolbox (LayoutPage:2169:8)
    at LayoutTab.toolboxFilterChange (LayoutPage:912:8)
    at HTMLSelectElement.onchange (kDialog.html:1:3)

AppData: C:\Users\Carl Smith\AppData\Roaming
Arch: ia32
Chrome version: 73.0.3683.121
CPUs: {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}, {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}, {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}, {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}
Data Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\Documents\The Tournament Director 2
Date: 9:01:23 pm 10/21/2019
DB File: C:\Users\Carl Smith\OneDrive\Tournement Director\Data\db\td.db
DB Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\OneDrive\Tournement Director\Data\db
Electron version: 5.0.10
Home: C:\Users\Carl Smith
Hostname: Paula-PC
Install Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\AppData\Local\Programs\TheTournamentDirector
Language: en-US
License Info: +rN0lGaeRnRHbxWuqtYt5Nf39RxfNc/ZaX6MF4MvqHATcP9Zlnjke/LzpIQYVH8n6TILzed9ySbpMgvN533JJvO4xHQIG1c3tapxJCs5wN0=
Load: 0,0,0
Memory: 943,239,168 / 3,735,969,792
Node version: 12.0.0
OS Release: 10.0.17763
OS Type: Windows_NT
Platform: win32
Preferences File: C:\Users\Carl Smith\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\prefs.sav
Repo Config File: C:\Users\Carl Smith\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\repo.sav
Repo Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\OneDrive\Tournement Director\Data
Support Key: CA415DBBE242873D91446LEDE051AT36D4B4E2B7-31DE4129L
TD Language: en-us
TD Patch Level: null
TD Version: 3.7.0-beta.1
Temp directory: C:\Users\CARLSM~1\AppData\Local\Temp
User: Carl Smith
UserData: C:\Users\Carl Smith\AppData\Roaming\TheTournamentDirector
V8 version: 7.3.492.27-electron.0

Corey Cooper:
Thanks Carlavatky.  Got that one fixed in beta 2.

Beta 2 is out: https://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5931.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version