Author Topic: Issue with <datastore> variable in sounds template  (Read 3967 times)

DCP

• View Profile
Issue with <datastore> variable in sounds template
« on: March 15, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »
I have noticed a new behavior lately. Previously, when adding sounds to TD, I have always been presented with a <datastore> variable, allowing me to configure a tourney on one computer and move the save file to another. Now, I am getting an absolute path to the sound (C:\users\username\sounds...). When I attempt to edit this either in the sound tab of TD, or via a text editor, reopening in TD shows that the sound file cannot be found. Original sounds using the <datastore> variable still work. This is only when adding new sounds. Thoughts on what I can look at to correct this behavior?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with <datastore> variable in sounds template
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 09:53:09 PM »
Yep, the <datastore> variable is intended for exactly what you described: being able to seamlessly move from one PC to another.  When you select a file, such as a sound file or a chip image, the TD will automatically convert the path to a "<datastore>" version, IF the file you select is within your data store.  For example, my data store is here:

C:\Users\Corey\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data

If I choose this audio file:

C:\Users\Corey\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\sounds\deal-em.mp3

... the TD will automatically convert it to:

<datastore>\sounds\deal-em.mp3

If I get a new laptop and move my TD and all my data to the new laptop (as described in this TD FAQ: https://www.thetournamentdirector.com/faq.html#faq31), the TD should still be able to find that audio file.  Even if I log into my new laptop as a different user.  If I now login as TheTD, my data store will be here:

C:\Users\TheTD\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data

That would make this path invalid on the new laptop:

C:\Users\Corey\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\sounds\deal-em.mp3

But since the path was stored as:

<datastore>\sounds\deal-em.mp3

It's OK, because on the new laptop <datastore> is C:\Users\TheTD\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data.

This functionality hasn't changed.  Are you sure you are selecting a file inside of your data store folder?

DCP

• View Profile
Re: Issue with <datastore> variable in sounds template
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Corey. And :facepalm:. They absolutely were not. They were in a sounds folder in the root of the TD application. Now that they are moved to the correct location, it works perfectly. Thank you for such an amazing application! We have been using in our league now since 2007!