Author Topic: Placement of Dealer Button Auto Balance  (Read 4324 times)

Seitz333

• View Profile
Placement of Dealer Button Auto Balance
« on: December 11, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »
Is it possible to add the option to auto balance players based on the the location of the dealer button, but move players based on TDA rules?

To balance in flop &mixed-games, the player to be big blind next moves to the worst position, including single big blind if available, even if that means the seat is big blind twice. Worst position is never the small blind. In stud-only, players move by position (last seat open at the short table is the seat filled.)

Chuck

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Placement of Dealer Button Auto Balance
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
Sorry for the long hiatus!  It's been a really busy Christmas season this year.

So obviously there's no way today to change the seating algorithm.  Currently, the algorithm uses at its heart a sorting algorithm with a number of "biases", such as which tables you've designated as first to collapse or last to collapse, or the number of moves a player has already made.  Additionally, IF you've specified where the dealer button is, it will use that as its strongest bias.  If I recall correctly, it will try to move a player from one table to another and place them in the same seat with respect to the dealer button, so that they are not penalized (which is generally true unless the tables have a different number of players, but that's an unavoidable consequence).

Adding in other seating algorithms should be possible.  I'll just have to dig back into the seating algorithm, which is something I've been reluctant to touch for fear of breaking something.  Truth is I need to add more tests to hedge against breaking it.

If I'm not mistaken, you're describing two different methods.  Do the official TDA rules describe these?

Seitz333

• View Profile
Re: Placement of Dealer Button Auto Balance
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 08:44:23 AM »
Hey Corey,

This was taken directly from the current TDA rules.

"To balance in flop &mixed-games, the player to be big blind next moves to the worst position, including single big blind if available, even if that means the seat is big blind twice. Worst position is never the small blind. In stud-only, players move by position (last seat open at the short table is the seat filled.)"

Chuck