Author Topic: Small Issue with copying screens  (Read 4774 times)

PokerGrizz

• View Profile
Small Issue with copying screens
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
Hey Corey, new user here. Love the product!

I was building a new layout from scratch and noticed the following:

I created a screen I was happy with (screen 1).
I wanted to create a similar screen with only a few cells changed but not the locations or properties.
I created a new screen (screen 2).
I used the copy function to replace the screen 2 attributes with screen 1.
I made changes to cells on screen 2.
The changes also applied to screen 1 even though I didn't want them to.
I tried saving layouts before changes and after with the same results.
Only way to break the "link" was to exit the software and restart.

This is not a critical issue and is easily worked around. I just wanted to share.

Thanks for a great product, I'l share my rookie layout when its done..........

Grizz

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Small Issue with copying screens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »
One thing that might be understandably throwing you off is that screens aren't made up of cells (technically), they are made up of references to cells.  So if you have a cell that displays the clock, and you use it on screen 1 and screen 2, there is really only a single cell "clock", and both screens reference it.  If you make changes to the clock cell, those changes will be reflected on both screens.  If you want to have the clock cell on screen 1 be different from the clock cell on screen 2, you'll need to make a copy of the clock cell and use one of them on screen 1 and the other on screen 2.

PokerGrizz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:51:24 AM »
Thanks, for the reply. I learned that the hard way :-)

That's not what happening I'm removing a cell and adding a new one in its place. I double checked when I remove a cell from from screen 2 it also disappears from screen 1.

When I add the new one to screen 2 (brand new cell with or without a token) it also appears on screen 1.

I did forget to mention I was in design mode BTW

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »
One thing I picked up on your original post was you wanted to make small changes to a few cells, you will not require two separate screens to achieve this, you just need separate conditions on the cell you wish to change - for example change the colour during a break etc, you can then manipulate what displays and how during different states of the tournament.
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »
Definitely a bug.  Looks like the screen copy keeps the same references.  Well, some of them.  There are some weird edge cases where some cells aren't "linked" in this manner.  I checked and this bug exists as far back as version 3.0, released in 2011.  But not in 2.5.  Congratulations, you found a nearly 10 year old bug.

On the plus side, if you save your layout and then reload it, the references are corrected.

Thanks, for the reply. I learned that the hard way :-)

That's not what happening I'm removing a cell and adding a new one in its place. I double checked when I remove a cell from from screen 2 it also disappears from screen 1.

When I add the new one to screen 2 (brand new cell with or without a token) it also appears on screen 1.

I did forget to mention I was in design mode BTW

PokerGrizz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
Thanks Corey, like i said its a small issue easily worked around. Thanks for the save reload tip, I was saving restarting.

I want to thank you again for the product. In reading the forums I can tell its been a labor of love of yours for a long time. If you'll have me I'd be happy to beta test future versions if there are any on the horizon.

Grizz

PokerGrizz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:15:23 AM »
One thing I picked up on your original post was you wanted to make small changes to a few cells, you will not require two separate screens to achieve this, you just need separate conditions on the cell you wish to change - for example change the colour during a break etc, you can then manipulate what displays and how during different states of the tournament.

Stuart, thanks for this. I noticed that this was how the default layout was set up. I also noticed in the forums another user create the "even-odd" round differences with screen sets. I'm just banging through this and trying to see which way I want to set it up. I have 0 html experience so I'm digging into most of the layouts you and others have shared.

BTW I've noticed what a huge help you've been to so many other new users like me here on the forum. I've already learned so much from you already. THANKS!

Grizz