Author Topic: wanting to start a league/points series  (Read 3073 times)

mikrut

• View Profile
wanting to start a league/points series
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:30:54 PM »
i am new to tournament director,, used it once last year for a tournament,, now i want to set up a league/points series to run for a few months this winter.. is there a basic template i can use ? or can anyone possibly sit with me maybe over facetime or something to walk me through setting one up? any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: wanting to start a league/points series
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:24:13 PM »
There's really nothing to setting up a league in the TD.

Create the league on the Database tab, then add players to it.  You can identify a tournament you play as being part of a league (on the Game tab), and that allows you to filter tournaments when computing Stats based on the league.  If you plan to run multiple leagues, you might want to do that, but otherwise, it's just for your use.

You can also create seasons on the Database tab, and when you run a tournament you can identify the tournament as being part of that season.  Again, this allows you to filter tournaments when computing Stats.  This is a good way to "reset" the stats at some point.  Because stats are computed every time you run them, you don't ever really reset them, you just tell the TD to run stats on only the tournaments you want.  By setting a season, you can tell the TD to compute stats over only that season.  You can also do this using just dates, but seasons are a little easier in my opinion as you can name them things like "Fall 2019" and quickly know where a tournament belongs.

As far as rankings go, that's done using the Stats Profile (which is also used to filter tournaments).  In the profile you define a Tournament Scores formula, which computes a score value for each player for every tournament the profile finds.  You also define an Overall Scores formula (up to 5 actually) that can use the Tournament Scores values you created to create a single score value for each player.  This part is up to you, but the Default profile has one of each included you can use as an example.  You don't have to do this, of course.  Many stats are computed automatically which could also be used, such as the average of the player's Points earned in each tournament.