Author Topic: Bringing all data to a new computer  (Read 1636 times)

mammolastan

• View Profile
Bringing all data to a new computer
« on: September 25, 2021, 08:43:23 AM »
Hi, new computer situation here. I'm looking for info on what's needed to do to transfer everything TD-related from one computer to another, so that all the same players and stats are brought over to the new computer.

Is there a specific list of which files need to be transferred? Would it be every Tournament file, as well as the Players?

I did try searching for this topic on the forum, and I found a couple posts that are related, but I can't tell if there's multiple tabs I'll need to be exporting from and them importing into the new computer, along with moving the Tournament files manually, or if I'm going about it the wrong way.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: Bringing all data to a new computer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 03:04:15 AM »
I'm sure Corey will chime in but if I remember correctly you just need to install the TD onto the new computer then copy the TD folder from My docs from the old computer and paste replacing the existing files when prompted  on your new computer and keeps everything as it was.

As for licence migration you need to remove the licence from the old computer and register it onto the new one simply click the register button on TD and you will see the option there.

Regards
Stuart
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 03:06:22 AM by Stuart Murray »
Stuart Murray

mammolastan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:42:32 AM »
Thanks for the response! We'll give that a try. i think that our data is stored in places outside of the TD folder in my docs, so it may be necessary for us to transfer other data as well.

If it was all in the TD folder in my docs, that would make it easy though, i'll take a deeper look!

Just for a bit of background, I've been helping out my friend who runs the league on the marketing/web side of things, and he recently got a new computer, and because I've got the 'tech' knowledge I'm the general IT guy too, so I'm trying to help him figure out how to get it set up right.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 12:17:16 PM »
The general answer to this is in this FAQ entry:

https://www.thetournamentdirector.net/faq.html#faq31

If you've decided to store items outside of the TD folder structure in your Documents folder, all bets are off, so to speak.  Further, if you've created more than one Data Store, you'll need to either  copy those yourself or use the backup feature on each one.  The backup feature will work off of your currently selected Data Store.  If you have say 3 different data stores, you can follow the same procedure from the FAQ to backup and restore each one individually, just not all at the same time.

For 99% of people using the TD software (who don't save anything outside of the "default" locations), the standard steps should work just fine.

mammolastan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:23:32 PM »
Thank you both so much! Following the steps in the FAQ did the trick no problem! I appreciate your help, sorry i didnt see it in the FAQs before posting!

Jaxen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 04:23:12 PM »
Hey Corey, I'm looking at the FAQ. I won't be backing files up since I'm replacing a laptop that died. The plan is to pull the old hard drive and copy to the new one. Hoping if I install the software and copy in there won't be any issues. Anything I need to keep in mind?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 12:23:33 AM »
No, nothing has changed with significance to the stored data.

https://www.thetournamentdirector.net/faq.html#faq31

Your license cannot be transferred. Just install it like you did the first time.  If you have any trouble, just email me.  I can straighten out any issues.