Author Topic: Paying Points Winners  (Read 1443 times)

Guzzler

• View Profile
Paying Points Winners
« on: November 11, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
Is there a way to pay the points winners at the end of a league season?  I don't want to create another "game" or add it to a game, as this will skew the standings and statistics.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Paying Points Winners
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 10:51:02 AM »
I don't think so.  There's no way to make individual adjustments in Stats like you can in a tournament.  The only way I can think of that could work would be to use an additional Overall Score formula in stats that references another Overall Score.  For example, you've got your usual formula in "Overall Score" and in "Overall Score 2" you could have a formula that takes the value of Overall Score and adds points based on some criteria.  This would introduce its own set of problems, such as formulas that reference each other, and the need to rank the results based on some specific criteria, which the Stats currently does not do.  Stats computes stats individually per-player and does not rank them in any way.  The results are simply sorted however the user likes.

Guzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 08:36:59 AM »
I can add the money manually, without the automatic payout from the program.  I was just wondering how I would add the payouts to a the specific players.  But, to do it in a method that would not add another game, or would not impact the payouts from any other previous game.

I realize that it's simple to simply put a "Winnings Adjustment" to the end of a game, but that would skew the winnings for that game.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
I can add the money manually, without the automatic payout from the program.  I was just wondering how I would add the payouts to a the specific players.  But, to do it in a method that would not add another game, or would not impact the payouts from any other previous game.

I realize that it's simple to simply put a "Winnings Adjustment" to the end of a game, but that would skew the winnings for that game.

Exactly.  Since you can adjust winnings and points for a player in a tournament, even if they did not buy-in to that tournament, that would be the way I would normally suggest.  But you are correct that it will skew the winnings/points of that particular tournament, or at the very least add another tournament to the and skew the number of tournaments.  That's why I was talking about adjusting at the Stats level.  But there's just no way to do that today.

Here's the least disruptive way I can think of:

• Create a new tournament.
  • Add two players.
  • Start the tournament.
  • Bust one player out.  This will end the tournament and put it into the "Game Over" state.
  • Remove both players from the tournament.  Now you have a tournament in the "Game Over" state with no one in it.
  • Add the players for whom you need to make adjustments.  Do not buy them into the tournament.
  • Edit each player and adjust their winnings and/or points.
  • Save the tournament.
  • Run stats.

This will adjust the winnings and/or points for those players in Stats.  It will NOT increase the number of tournaments that they participated in.  It WILL increase the number of tournaments used for stats.  So the variable numberOfTournaments (or n) will increase.  If your formula depends on this, you may need to adjust it.

It is definitely a hack, and requires manual steps to make it work.  But it could work.

Guzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »
OK, so I took a stab at your "hack" below.  Here's what I got...

On the "Stats" page, under "Normal View", your hack works as you mentioned.

However, when I move over to "Single field view" on the same Stats page, it does not give the money total - it shows that same person as having won $0.00.  So I double click on the individuals name to get his individual statistics, and it does show an adjustment for the correct amount.  But, for whatever reason, it will not show this amount under the "Single field view".

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 01:11:34 PM »
Started looking into this and got distracted and forgot all about it.  So sorry!

I took a second look and I don't see this issue.  I followed the same steps as I posted, and I see the adjustment in both Normal view and Single field view.  Here's a screen shot from Single field view with the "Total Winnings" field selected:

The tournament I added is called "Stats-Adjustment-Tournament", and I adjusted the player's winnings by a million to make it obvious.  You can see a column for that tournament, and that the Sum and Average columns both factor in the adjustment.

What field are you selecting in Single field view?