Author Topic: Points Not Calculating  (Read 1219 times)

MikeCzopek

• View Profile
Points Not Calculating
« on: September 28, 2021, 11:32:58 AM »
Hi,

I'm building a league, which will have seasons, and I've been doing some test runs before our first game, and I must be missing something obvious because I can't get any of the tournaments to calculate points based on finish rank.

I've confirmed that the Stats profile is pulling the correct tournament files and that the tournament is complete. When I refresh the stats, it finds and uses all the files I'm expecting it to use and the Info screen confirms this.

My formula for points gives everyone 2 points above the previous finisher, except for the top three, which get three points above:
((n - r) * 2) + if (r = 1, 3) + if (r = 2, 2) + if (r = 3, 1)

When I do a Test Range, each rank gets the correct number of points.  When I run the tournament, I know I won't see allocated points until the tournament is complete and I run a refresh, but I don't ever see points allocated.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Thanks,
Mike

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Points Not Calculating
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 06:27:38 PM »
When I run the tournament, I know I won't see allocated points until the tournament is complete and I run a refresh, but I don't ever see points allocated.

Actually, points are computed immediately during a tournament.  In your case, since everything depends on rank, points will be zero for a player until that player busts out of the tournament.  But you shouldn't have to wait until the tournament is over.  This is of course referring to the Points for Playing formula on the Game tab.  Tournament Scores are computed during stats computation so you won't see those until you run stats, and a tournament won't be included until it is complete.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

What is your Overall Score formula?  We can't see that from the screen capture.

You should see the results in the Overall Score column.  What's in that column?

MikeCzopek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 08:17:34 PM »
Thanks Corey - this has been extremely helpful. I was looking right through the Points For Playing on the Game tab box because I thought it was just for showing up (although I guess it could be used for that too.)

I was using the Tournament Scores formula in the Stats profile in attempt to get the Points For Playing?  Where is that formula published? This is what I was expecting to generate my individual tournament scores.

My Overall Score is simply Sum(scores) and that is working correctly now.

Thanks for your help - love what you've created here.

Mike

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »
Thanks Corey - this has been extremely helpful. I was looking right through the Points For Playing on the Game tab box because I thought it was just for showing up (although I guess it could be used for that too.)

Yeeeah, it may not have the best name.  I know there was a reason for that, but for the life of me I can no longer recall it.

To be clear, Points for Playing and Tournament Scores are basically the same thing, but they have a few key differences.

Points for Playing
* Saved as part of a tournament
* Can be different for every tournament
* Computed as soon as player busts out of tournament
* Don't need to run Stats to see
* Displays in the Points column on the Players tab

Tournament Score
* Saved as part of Stats
* Same for all tournaments in which Stats are computed
* Only displayed when Stats are computed
* Easy to make or change for many tournaments
* Can see by selecting Single field view on the Stats tab and selecting the Score column

Either can be used in your Overall Score formula(s).

MikeCzopek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »
Great - thanks for the summary.